[PVE-User] Offsite Backups with PBS using External swapable Drives?

Arjen leesteken at protonmail.ch
Wed Mar 31 07:20:27 CEST 2021

On Wednesday, March 31st, 2021 at 05:03, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this possible via disk transfer?
>

> We don't have the upload bandwidth for direct transfer to the cloud.
>

> Currently we do vzdump backups to a local NAS and sync those to an
>

> attached external USB drive, which is rotated offsite once a month. We
>

> keep a total of six drives in rotation that way.
>

> Is there anyway to do this with PBS? I can't see it myself, it seems to
>

> be entirely orientated around network transfer.

If you run PBS somewhere, you can use a folder on the NAS as a Datastore. You could duplicate that folder to the external drive, as a backup copy of that Datastore and keep it off-site. You would need a PBS to read from the external drive in case of a on-site disaster. Something like that might be simlar to what you do now, except that you need to run a PBS somewhere on-site (possibly in a VM or CT).

kind regards, Arjen