[PVE-User] Windows sever 2016 vm with very high ram usage

Arjen leesteken at protonmail.ch
Mon Mar 29 16:46:08 CEST 2021

On Monday, March 29th, 2021 at 16:30, Leandro Roggerone <leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar> wrote:

> Dear Arjen , nice data you provided , im trying it right now.
>

> BTW , after installing virtIO drivers , memory usage looks ok on the
>

> proxmox gui (very nice!).
>

> Regarding CPU layout , I understood this:
>

> I should use just one socket , so in my case would be 1socket x 6 cores ,
>

> total 6 vCPUs.
>

> If I notice that cpu usage goes high , lets suppose over 85% , I should add
>

> a second socket and enable NUMA.

That CPU has 12 threads (right?), so you can try up to 12 vCPUs. And select 'host' or a CPU type that is close to your physical CPU instead of the kvm64 default. Maybe enabling NUMA helps even with less virtual cores, just try it and compare performance. If you enable NUMA, choose the same number of virtual sockets as real sockets (=2). Remember that the amount of vCPUs is cores multiplied by the number of sockets. Maybe you can try 6x1 or 3x2 or 12x1 or 6x2 and see which performs the best?

> I will change ide for scsi as you suggested.
>

> No problem if I need to re install OS.

You can find the Windows drivers for VirtIO here:
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.185-2/