[PVE-User] Three node Hyperconverged PVE+Ceph and failure domains...

storm ralf.storm at konzept-is.de
Wed Mar 10 13:28:19 CET 2021

when operating a 3-node cluster, you have to ensure that at least 2
nodes are up and operational.

If you want the possibility for 2 nodes failing, you need to move to the
next odd number: 5 - you need at least a 5 node cluster if you want to
survive the loss of two nodes without problems.

We have a 7 node cluster, so 3 nodes can fail, but we also have to raise
the Ceph - size to 4, because if three nodes fail you have a high
possibility, that placement groups will be unavailable because they were
replicated only to the three nodes which are down.

btw - I think you should look at this hyperconverged solution as if it
were two different clusters, the proxmox cluster and the ceph cluster
although it is "all in one node"you are operating two clusters, with
different preconditions.

best regards