[PVE-User] pbs incremental backups

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Mar 2 11:37:36 CET 2021

Hello,

this is probably a bit difficult to understand at first, but I will try
to explain.

Each backup is a full backup, even though only the differences to the
last backup are actually backed up. The remaining unchanged block are
just being referenced from the last backup. When you delete a previous
backup, only those blocks which are not referenced by another backup
will actually be deleted.

So each backup is independent on its own, and you can delete all
previous backups without losing any data.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

Bye,
Andreas