[PVE-User] Guest LVM2 overhead/usefulness for thin storages (Ceph, ZFS)

Simone Piccardi piccardi at truelite.it
Wed Jun 30 14:01:41 CEST 2021

On 30/06/21 11:28, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Also, point me that make sense also for some 'virtual servers' (or
> better, 'virtual storage') setup.
> EG, considering a SAN, splitting virtual volumes in predefined chunks
> (1/2TB) and 'recombine' them via LVM in the guest, permit to move
> around smaller volumes, transparently for the guest.

My personal preference, for VM, is having two partition in a single
virtual disk (the first one for the swap, the second one for /). And
then resize the disk.

If you want to have a separate /home (I see the need only if you want to
apply quotas) I just use a second disk.

I cannot see any advantage on using LVM inside a VM.

Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi at truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6