[PVE-User] Error deleting VM-templates

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Thu Jan 21 08:38:08 CET 2021

Hello,

I have a 5 host PVE cluster version 6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel:
5.4.78-2-pve) community edition. The storage backend is an external
ceph-nautilus 14.2.15 cluster.

Everything works fine exept for this: whenever I try to remove a VM
*template* (without any children) I get and error no matter if I do it
via GUI (More->Remove -menu) or qm:

root at pxsrv:~# qm destroy 174             # id 174 is a vm template
Removing all snapshots: 0% complete...failed.
Could not remove disk 'ceph-pxa:base-174-disk-0', check manually: error
during cfs-locked 'storage-ceph-pxa' operation: rbd snap purge
'base-174-disk-0' error: Removing all snapshots: 0% complete...failed.

Afterwards in pve the template has vanished but on ceph the
"base-174-disk-0" rbd with the protected "__base__" snapshot  is still
there. I can however easily and successfully remove these remains
manually even from the pve host where I ran qm destroy using exactly the
same cephx-client as configured in pve simply by running rbd commands:

rbd -m <list of ceph-monitors> -n client.rz --conf
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.conf --keyring
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.keyring --auth_supported cephx   snap
unprotect pxa-rbd/base-174-disk-0 at __base__

rbd -m <list of ceph-monitors> -n client.rz --conf
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.conf --keyring
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.keyring --auth_supported cephx   snap purge
pxa-rbd/base-174-disk-0

rbd -m <list of ceph-monitors>  -n client.rz --conf
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.conf --keyring
/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-pxa.keyring --auth_supported cephx   rm
pxa-rbd/base-183-disk-0

This works without any problem. So the question is if I can do it
manually on a pve host why does proxmox throw an error doing the very
same on the same host? For me this looks like a pve bug.

I no idea how to find out more. Anyone else with some fresh ideas?

Thanks
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse  1
56070 Koblenz, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke, Tel: +49261287 1312