[PVE-User] Adding an Internet NIC to existing Proxmox

Alain Péan alain.pean at c2n.upsaclay.fr
Sun Feb 14 21:31:55 CET 2021

Le 14/02/2021 à 18:03, Steve Frazier via pve-user a écrit :
> I need some help.  I am new to Proxmox.   I have it set up now using (1) one NIC to an internal network of 192.168.20.0/23 and I would like to use another NIC I have available for the internet which has (5) available IPs.
> I have attached a view of my existing network.
> I would like to set up an additional (NIC) when would allow me to assign to a virtual server that has two virtual NICs with one being the internet and the other being my internal network.
> While I am at it, I have another networking 192.168.30.0/24 that I would like to assign to an available NIC so that I could assign virtual servers to that NICat a later time.
> Could someone please help me on how to do this

Hi Steve,

It is easy to add a network interface to a VM. Just go in the Proxmox
web interface on your VM, then Harware menu, then 'Add' button. You can
there add a new NIC.
It will linked by default to the bridge vmbr0, if you have only this
one. This brikge is itself linked to the first NIC on your host, say
eth0. If your IP ranges represent different VLANs, then you have to
allow different VLAN on the same interface (eth0), and it should be a
trunk allowing all these VLANs, Another possibility would be to first
add a new bridge on the host (it also can be done via proxmox web
interfance), which would be linked for example to the second NIC on your
host, say eth1.
The two NICs could be in different VLAN...

See for exemple :
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration

Alain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
C2N Centre de Nanosciences et Nanotechnologies (UMR 9001)