[PVE-User] Correct substitution of a ZFS failed disk...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at lilliput.linux.it
Mon Dec 27 11:03:24 CET 2021

I've found many useful and relevant information about ZFS and boot loader,
but not (even of wiki) a simple guide on how substitute a faled disk in a
ZFS boot pool (for sake of simplicity, suppsing a two-disk ZFS mirror).

Surely this will involve:

1) set the disk as offline:

	zpool offline rpool-data <GUID of failed disk>

2) add the new disk:

	zpool replace rpool-data <GUID of failed disk> /dev/xxxx

3) reinstall the bootloader on new disk:

	proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/yyyyy
	proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/yyyyy

But... in what order?! I suppose i need to partition the disk before using 'zpool
replace'... 'proxmox-boot-tool' take care of that?!

Thanks.

--
  Worrying about case in a Windows (AD) context is one of the quickest paths to
  insanity.							(Patrick Goetz)