[PVE-User] get the most of storage for a very old dell pe 2950.

Leandro Roggerone leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar
Mon Apr 19 14:59:15 CEST 2021

Hi guys , I received a very old del pe 2950 box.
Fortunately it has 64 GB and a double power supply, so i'm thinking about
using it with pve.
After confirm with dell support about storage capacity:
Max physical storage support is 2TB.
Max virtual storage support is also 2TB.
##
I was reading on previous emails at this mail list , about storage:
 "putting the controller in JBOD mode
and install directly with ZFS software RAID."

I always thought that raid hardware controller was the best option but ,
perhaps I can give it a try to ZFS software RAID with this old server  ....
what do you think ?
I have a bunch of 3.5" with odd capacities  unused drives.
I readed that zfs can merge them to get a more efficient use.
What about hot replace / remove or insert a new drive ?
Will it work without service disruption in production environments ?

Regards,
Leandro.

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com