[PVE-User] PBS and ZFS Pools Compression?

Geoff Seeley gseeley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 18:22:44 CEST 2021

> > I may be wrong, but AFAIK ZFS detects compressed data and thus it is not
> > doing double-compression in such cases,
>
> AFAIK the only way to detect compressed data is to actually compress it,
> then
> test the size. So this is double-compression ...

ZFS compression is a little more complex than this, but the good news is
that ZFS is also smart enough not to do this!

This is a good article on the subject:
https://klarasystems.com/articles/openzfs1-understanding-transparent-compression/

TL;DR: Enable compression at the pool level and forget about it.

-Geoff