[PVE-User] ZFS Disk Usage unexpected high

Yanni M. gianni.milo22 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 11:54:40 CEST 2021

This is a common issue on raidz based pools. Assuming 4k sectors
(ashift=12) and zvol with 8K volblocksize, each 8K (2-sector) block uses a
single sector (4k) of parity. So 15TB of 8KB blocks (default
volblocksize=8k) takes up at least 22.5TB space on disk (including parity).
You will use less parity by increasing the volblock size (e.g.
volblocksize=32k, or the default recordsize=128k for filesystems) in
exchange of a possible lower performance. Another solution would be using a
pool of striped mirrors (RAID10). This problem does not exist in such pools
(as there are no parity blocks used).