[PVE-User] Server freezing randomly with Proxmox 6.2-4 on AMD Ryzen system

Wolfgang Link w.link at proxmox.com
Tue Sep 8 06:25:42 CEST 2020

> On 09/07/2020 8:44 PM Hermann Himmelbauer <hermann at qwer.tk> wrote:
>

> Dear Wolfgang,
> Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that the board is stable for you.
>
> My BIOS has the default values, so no overclocking or the like. Did you
> do any alterations? Did you in some way disable C6?

As you noticed, you should turn off all energy savings. This is somewhat hidden in AMD Bios.
You can find them in the expanded section "AMS CBS" and are not afraid of waring in some of the submenus. You can ignore them and don't make sense because options like ECO mode are hidden there.
I also disable boost to reduce the time drift in the KVM.

> Maybe this is really some defect (mainboard, RAM, cpu, power supply...)
> - since my posting I managed to crash node 2, however, node 1 + node 3
> are stable.
>
> BTW - did you manage to get ECC running? I do have ECC memory but it
> does not seem to be detected. Maybe this is due to the AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
> - I read somewhere that the CPUs with integrated graphic do not report ECC?

The Ryzen 3 3200G does not support ECC as WIKIChips entry say.
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_3/3200g

Why do you have not buy an Ryzen 3 3100 it cost nearly the same and is 30% faster and support SMT and ECC?

> Can you perhaps send me the other components of your system?

4 X Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ 32GB Dimm at 2666
Lenovo 430-8i HBA