[PVE-User] Automation - salt/ansible/terraform...

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Sat Oct 3 14:06:35 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 02.10.20 14:55, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> Is there any provisioning/cm tool that works best with PVE? I’ve tried salt-cloud without great success and I’m open to use anything else that helps me automating VM provisioning + post-deploy tasks. Any sample configs are also appreciated…

There are various plugins for Proxmox VE provided by automation projects
themselves and/or their community.

Terraform:
https://github.com/Telmate/terraform-provider-proxmox

Ansible:
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/collections/community/general/proxmox_module.html
https://github.com/lae/ansible-role-proxmox

Salt:
https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/cloud/proxmox.html

They normally provide some documentation or examples.

In my experience, the Proxmox VE uses lots of different automation
tools, most of the time whatever they use already for other tasks.

That's why I personally, and also some other devs here, use ansible, not
necessarily because it or the support for it is better, but because those
have it already in use to manage infrastructure and some private stuff.

For a commercial VM/CT offering, there are also plugins for shop or
billing systems like WHCMS.

hope that helps!

cheers,
Thomas