[PVE-User] confirmation on osd replacement

Alejandro Bonilla abonilla at suse.com
Wed Nov 25 15:03:45 CET 2020

Hi MJ

> On Nov 25, 2020, at 3:18 AM, mj <lists at merit.unu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would just like to verify/confirm something here, as we are going to replace our spinning OSDs with SSDs.
>
> We have 8 OSDs per server, and two empty front driveslots available.
>
> The proxmox boot disk is internal, and currently known as /dev/sdk
>
> Suppose I insert two new SSDs in the (two empty) front drive bays, I expect the internal boot disk to shift from /dev/sdk to /dev/sdm
>
> The questions:
> - should we expect boot problems or other side-effects of doing that?
> (of course I will test on the first server, I'd just like to know what to expect)

Have a look at /etc/fstab for any disk path mounts - since I think Proxmox uses lvm mostly, you shouldn’t see a problem.

> And then I am going to first add per server two new bluestore SSDs, making a (temporarily) total of 10 OSDs per server.
>
> And then I want to replace the 8 remaining filestore spinning OSDs with 6 bluestore SSDs. Making again a total of 8 OSDs per server.
>
> The idea is: first add two SSDs to increase IO capacity for the rest of the procedure, while at the same time reducing stress on our filestore journal SSD (wear level=75%)
>
> Any comments?

What is the pool replication configuration or ec-profile? How many nodes in the cluster?
Are you planning to remove all disks per server at once or disk by disk?
Will all new drives equal or increase the disk capacity of the cluster?