[PVE-User] ZFS 'zpool trim'?

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Fri Nov 6 12:43:11 CET 2020

Mandi! Mark Schouten
  In chel di` si favelave...

> > zpool set autotrim=on POOLNAME

> I did this, at first. But then disabled it becuase it slowed down my
> storage quite a bit. Might be specific to my setup, but the
> trim-kernel-thread took quite some IO according to iotop.

Exactly, i've read also that, that also 'match' with what 'normally' i
know on trim: apart some specific usage case, doing an automatic trim
could be a slowdown, and is preferable to schedule a
daily/weekly/monthly task, based on usage profiles, to do a trim.

It seems strane to me that debian/Proxmox does not have a 'framework'
(apart /etc/cron.d/zfsutils-linux; i meant something like a predefined
systemd unit) for that.

A crontab will suffices. ;-)