[PVE-User] Some features that I miss in the PVE WebUI

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri May 22 22:11:55 CEST 2020

On 22/05/2020 16:10, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/22/20 4:03 PM, Frank Thommen wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> having worked with oVirt in the past there are some features that I am really missing in PVE in my daily work:
>>
>> a) a tabular overview over all virtual machines. This should/might also include some performance data and the description.  See the attached partial screenshot from oVirt, where this is implemented quite nicely. This is /not/ to replace proper monitoring but to provide a quick overview over the PVE-based intrastructure
>
> Isn't this what Datacenter -> Search could be? Note that the list drops any attachments.

Partially.  It is still missing some data that I really like in the
oVirt overview (e.g. comments/descriptions, IP and the thumbnailed
timelines(!) for CPU, memory and network ecc.)

I have uploaded the screenshot to https://pasteboard.co/J9B4cEc.png.

>> a1) the possibility to provide the virtual machines and containers with a short, one-line description
>
> Why not use the VM/CT notes? Editable over VM/CT -> Summary panel?

We do use these notes heavily, but unfortunately they don't seem to be
searchable/usable for filtering.  It would be nice to have a
"Description" which would be a one-liner, like the description for the
HA resources.

>> b) the possibility to use keywords from the Notes field or the description (see a1 above) in the search box.  Our hosts are all named <unit>-vm<vm_number> which forces us to keep a separate list for the mapping of services to hostnames
>
> Dominik has done some patches adding "tags", which then would be searchable.
> Some backend support is there, but we had some discussion about how to integrate
> them in the frontend. I think this will be picked up soonish and should provide
> what you seek in b) maybe also a1..

yes, such tags would come in very handy and could partially replace the
description if they can be used for filtering.

Frank