[PVE-User] Creating VM with thin provisioning (ESXi fashion)

Leandro Roggerone leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar
Mon Mar 9 12:53:29 CET 2020

Sorry to compare ... between systems , I  just want to get to the same
function:
When you create a VM on vmware you assign a max storage , for example 400Gb.
Then you can see from vm dashboard that this VM is using 194Gb.

But  ,if I look inside the VM , you will see:

[root at ftp ~]# lsblk
NAME            MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda               8:0    0  * 400G  0 disk*
├─sda1            8:1    0     1G  0 part /boot
└─sda2            8:2    0 398.9G  0 part
  ├─centos-root 253:0    0   395G  0 lvm  /
  └─centos-swap 253:1    0   3.9G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
sr0              11:0    1   918M  0 rom

The VM "believes" it has a 400Gb drive, and can continue automatically
growing up to those 400 GB but it is currently using only 194Gb.
I would like to work same way on my PVE environment if possible .. or what
is best approach.
Leandro.

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com