[PVE-User] Creating VM with thin provisioning (please help me understand it).

Leandro Roggerone leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar
Fri Mar 6 14:19:44 CET 2020

Gianni , thans for your feedbak , please take a look at my comments bellow:

When using ThinLVM a VM initially allocates the same amount of data as the
guest OS. For example, if you install plain Windows10 in a VM, initially it
will occupy only 20GB of disk space, despite the fact that its virtual disk
is 200GB. Of course, as the demand for data within guest OS grows, that
initial 20GB will eventually become 30,50,100 until it maxes out the 200GB
limit. Once it reaches the 200GB limit, that virtual disk effectively
becomes a ThickLVM volume.

Dont understand what happens here ...
Sorry to push about this subject , but in my case I need to mount a netflow
server.
Storage needs are very variable here.
Some times exported data grows a lot and can reach 300Gb in a few weeks.
Some times exported data is under 20 or 30 Gb for some customers for ever.

How should I effectively assign storage to my VMs?
What would you do in this cases ?

This is one of the reasons why you should make
sure to constantly monitor the disk space consumption when using ThinLVM,
especially if you are over provisioning (i.e Using 6 VM x 200GB each = 1.2
TB, where the actual physical space is only 1TB). Failing to do so, could
lead in irreversible data corruption. Use the normal LVM cli commands to
monitor its status, space utilisation etc (lsblk is not the right tool for
that).
Can you provide a better tool  ?

Of course im reading admin guide now!
Regards,