[PVE-User] osd replacement to bluestore or filestore

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Mon Mar 2 09:25:06 CET 2020

On 29.02.2020 12:21, mj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a failing filestore OSD HDD in our pve 5.4 cluster on ceph 12.2.13.
>
> I have ordered a replacement SSD, but we have the following doubt:
>
> Should we now replace the filestore HDD (journal on an SSD) with a
> bluestore SSD? Or should we keep the new SSD in filestore config, in
> order to minimise the time we run in 'mixed mode'.
>
> We have the intention to replace all filestore HDD OSDs with bluestore
> SSDs, but not short term, starting in half year or so.
>
> So the question is really: can we run mixed bluestore/filestore ceph
> cluster for an extended period of time? Anything particular to consider?

Many clusters have added new bluestore nodes, but not removed the
filestore nodes until the servers reach end of life. so running mixed
mode is not a problem.

The problem is perhaps mainly in the added complexity and making
troubleshooting trickier. and the changes in performance patterns
especially when you mix on a single node.

Ronny