[PVE-User] Create proxmox cluster / storage question.

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Mar 2 09:22:45 CET 2020

Hola Leandro,

El 28/2/20 a las 15:25, Leandro Roggerone escribió:
> When you talk about redundacy and availability, do you want...
> - HA? (automatic restart of VMs in the other node in case one server fails)
> - Be able to move VMs from one server to the other "fast" (without
> copying the disks)?
> Yes , this is what I want.
> So regarding my original layout from my 5.5Tb  storage:
> Im using 1T for LVM , 1TB for LVM-thin and  3.5 TB unassigned space, is it
> ok to use this unassigned space for a ceph ?
> Can I set it later ?  with server on production ?
You can configure Ceph later, with the server in production, yes.

But for Ceph you want single disks, no RAID. So I'd build the server
with a 2x2TB RAID1 and leave the other 2x2TB disks for adding to Ceph.

Also, read a bit about Ceph before deploying, it is not "sinple" :-)
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/start/intro/

> Other:
> Using an NFS system, means to have an external server running a file sistem?
> So you should have at least two servers for the cluster and one for the
> file system?
> It seems to me that using ceph has a better redundancy plan an it is easier
> to deploy since I only need two servers. (am i right?).
For Ceph you need at least 3 servers; one of them can be a simple PC but
you need it for Ceph monitor's quorum. It is recommended too for Proxmox
cluster, for the same reason.

Really a NFS based solution is simpler, but then NFS server is a simple
point of failure. Ceph will be more resilient, but you have to
understand how it works. You may find that having only two servers with
Ceph storage can be risky when performing maintenance on one of the servers.

Saludos
Eneko