[PVE-User] Enabling telemetry broke all my ceph managers

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:30:38 CEST 2020

Clean nautilous install I setup last week

  * 5 Proxmox nodes
      o All on latest updates via no-subscription channel
  * 18 OSD's
  * 3 Managers
  * 3 Monitors
  * Cluster Heal good
  * In a protracted rebalance phase
  * All managed via proxmox

I thought I would enable telemetry for caph as per this article:

https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/mgr/telemetry/

  * Enabled the module (command line)
  * ceph telemetry on
  * Tested getting the status
  * Set the contact and description
    ceph config set mgr mgr/telemetry/contact 'John Doe
    <john.doe at example.com>'
    ceph config set mgr mgr/telemetry/description 'My first Ceph cluster'
    ceph config set mgr mgr/telemetry/channel_ident true
  * Tried sending it
    ceph telemetry send

I *think* this is when the managers died, but it could have been
earlier. But around then the all ceph IO stopped and I discovered all
three managers had crashed and would not restart. I was shitting myself
because this was remote and the router is a pfSense VM :) Fortunately it
kept going without its disk responding.

systemctl start ceph-mgr at vni.service
Job for ceph-mgr at vni.service failed because the control process exited
with error code.
See "systemctl status ceph-mgr at vni.service" and "journalctl -xe" for
details.

 From journalcontrol -xe

    -- The unit ceph-mgr at vni.service has entered the 'failed' state with
    result 'exit-code'.
    Jun 18 21:02:25 vni systemd[1]: Failed to start Ceph cluster manager
    daemon.