[PVE-User] CEPH performance

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Jun 10 13:15:20 CEST 2020

>>AFAIK, it will be a challenge to get more that 2000 IOPS from one VM
>>using Ceph...

with iodetph=1, single queue, you'll have indeed the latency , and you shouldn't be to reach more than 4000-5000iops.
(depend mainly of cpu frequency on client + cpu frequency on cluster + network latency)

but with more parallel read/write, you should be able to reach 70-80000 iops without any problem by disk.
(if you need more, you can use multiple disks with iothreads, I was able to scale up to 500-600000 iops with 5-6 disks).

depend of your workload, you can enable writeback, it'll improve performance of sequential write of small coalesced blocks.
(it's regrouping them in bigger block before sending it to ceph.)
But currently (nautilus), enabling writeback slowdown read.

with octopus (actually in test http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-octopus/dists/buster/test/),
it's solved, and you can always enabled writeback

octopus have also others optimisations, and writeback is able to regroup also random non coalesced blocks

See my last benchmarks:

"
Here some iops result with 1vm - 1disk -  4k block   iodepth=64, librbd, no iothread.

                        nautilus-cache=none     nautilus-cache=writeback          octopus-cache=none     octopus-cache=writeback

randread 4k                  62.1k                     25.2k                            61.1k                     60.8k
randwrite 4k                 27.7k                     19.5k                            34.5k                     53.0k
seqwrite 4k                  7850                      37.5k                            24.9k                     82.6k
"