[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Sat Jul 11 15:34:46 CEST 2020

Hi Thomas,

On 7/11/20 1:38 PM, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> Nope, can do everything[0][1][2]! You can do file-based backups also. The client
> is a statically linked binary and runs on every relatively current Linux with
> an amd64 based CPU, so it doesn't even has to be a Debian server.

That is great.

And then some follow=up questions if I may...:

- I don't see any 'DR' options, right? As in: bare metal disaster
recovery restores, using a recovery boot iso, and restore a system from
scratch to bootable state. It's not a tool for that, right?

- I guess with VMs etc, the backup will use the available VM options
(ceph, zfs, lvm) to snapshot a VM, in order to get consistent backups,
like the current pve backup does.
But how does that work with non-VM client? (some non-VM client systems
run LVM, so lvm could be used to create a snapshot and backup that, for
example. Does it do that? Will my non-VM mysql backups be consistent?)

- Any timeframe for adding LTO tape support..?

We're really excited, and time-permitted I will try to play around with
this monday/tuesday. :-)

MJ