[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Fri Jul 10 17:31:26 CEST 2020

> On 10/07/20 15:41, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> >> Are you planning to support also CEPH (or other distributed file
> >> systems) as destination storage backend?
> >
> > It is already possible to put the datastore a a mounted cephfs, or
> > anything you can mount on the host.
>
> Is this "mount" managed by PBS or you have to "manually" mount it
> outside PBS?

Not sure what kind of management you need for that? Usually people
mount filesystems using /etc/fstab or by creating systemd mount units.

> > But this means that you copy data over the network multiple times,
> > so this is not the best option performance wise...
>
> True, PBS will act as a gateway to the backing storage cluster, but the
> data will be only re-routed to the final destination (in this case and
> OSD) not copied over (putting aside the CEPH replication policy).

That is probably a very simplistic view of things. It involves copying data
multiple times, so I will affect performance by sure.

Note: We take about huge amounts of data.

> So
> performance wise you are limited by the bandwidth of the PBS network
> interfaces (as you will be for a local network storage server) and to
> the speed of the backing CEPH cluster. Maybe you will loose something on
> raw performance (but depending on the CEPH cluster you could gain also
> something) but you will gain the ability of "easily" expandable storage
> space and no single point of failure.

Sure, that's true. Would be interesting to get some performance stats for
such setup...