[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Roland devzero at web.de
Fri Jul 10 16:06:35 CEST 2020

i think there may be a misunderstanding here or i was not clear enough
to express what i meant.

i guess in terms of backup storage,  pbs is doing similar to what
borgbackup does - so indeed that IS i/o and storage effient , but that
refers to the backup target side.

but what about the backup source?

I was referring to VMware cbt as that is a means of avoiding I/O on the
VM storage, i.e. the backup source.

afaik, proxmox/kvm does not (yet) have something like that !?

I you have lot's of terabytes of VM disks, each incremental backup run
will hog the VMs storage (the same like full backup).

In VMware, this is adressed with "changed block tracking", as a backup
agent can determine which blocks of a VMs disks have changed between
incremental backups, so it won't need to scan through the whole VMs
disks on each differential/incremental backup run.

see:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1020128
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/changed_block_tracking.html?ver=100

i don't want to criticize proxmox, i think proxmox is fantastic, i just
want to know what we get ( and what we don't get).

regards
roland