[PVE-User] Create proxmox cluster / storage question.

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri Feb 28 09:47:58 CET 2020

Hola Leandro,

El 27/2/20 a las 17:29, Leandro Roggerone escribió:
> Hi guys , i'm still tunning my 5.5 Tb server.
> While setting storage options during install process, I set 2000 for hd
> size, so I have 3.5 TB free to assign later.
>
> my layout is as follows:
> root at pve:~# lsblk
> NAME               MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> sda                  8:0    0   5.5T  0 disk
> ├─sda1               8:1    0  1007K  0 part
> ├─sda2               8:2    0   512M  0 part
> └─sda3               8:3    0     2T  0 part
>    ├─pve-swap       253:0    0     8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
>    ├─pve-root       253:1    0     1T  0 lvm  /
>    ├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2    0     9G  0 lvm
>    │ └─pve-data     253:4    0 949.6G  0 lvm
>    └─pve-data_tdata 253:3    0 949.6G  0 lvm
>      └─pve-data     253:4    0 949.6G  0 lvm
> sr0                 11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
>
> My question is:
> Is it possible to expand sda3 partition later without service outage ?
> Is it possible to expand pve group on sda3 partition ?
You don't need to expand sda3 really. You can just create a new
partition, create a new PV with it and add the new PV to pve VG.

> In case to create a proxmox cluster, what should I do with that 3.5 TB free
> ?
I don't know really how to reply to this. If you're building a cluster,
I suggest you configure some kind of shared storage; NFS server or Ceph
cluster for example.

> Is there a best partition type suited for this ? Can I do it without
> service outage?
For what?

> I have not any service running yet , so I can experiment what it takes.
> Any thought about this would be great.

Maybe you can start telling us your target use for this server/cluster.
Also some detailed spec of the server would help; for example does it
have a RAID card with more than one disk, or you're using a 6TB single disk?

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico