[PVE-User] Newbie in cluster - architecture questions

Demetri A. Mkobaranov damkobaranov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 14:21:51 CET 2020

Hello,

I'm approaching clustering technology with the final aim to learn HA
architectures. My preparation on this is zero.

My biggest difficulty at the moment is to understand which technology is
for and what problem solves.

I'm reading Proxmox documentation and it seems to imply this as
background knowledge but I don't have it.

Googling is very hard in this realm due to the vastness of the topic and
the number of technologies "replaced" over the time or competing at the
current time so I'd be grateful is someone can back me a up a little in
this learning process.

Questions:

1) From the Proxmox manual it seems like a cluster, without HA, offers
just the ability to migrate a guest from a node to another one. Is this
correct?

1B) Basically the configuration of one node is replicated (like /etc/pve
via pmxcfs) on other nodes so that they are all aware of the guests and
then corosync makes each node aware of the status of any other node and
probably triggers the synchronization via pmxcfs. Right? Nothing more
(unless further configuration) ?

2) Can I have nodes belonging to one cluster but living in different
countries? Or in this case a multi-cluster is required (like 3 nodes in
one datacenter and a cluster in another datacenter somehow linked
together) ?

Thank you for your time and efforts

Demetri