[PVE-User] Why are images and rootdir not supported on CephFS?

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 14 23:57:07 CET 2020

Dear all,

the PVE documentation on
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#_storage_types says,
that "[File level based storage technologies] allow you to store content
of any type".  However I found now - after having combined all available
disks in a big CephFS setup - that this is not true for CephFS, which
does not support images and rootdir.

What is the reason, that of all filesystens, CephFS doesn't support the
main PVE content type? :-)

Ceph RPD on the other hand, doesn't support backup.

This seems to rule our Ceph (in whatever variant) as an unifying, shared
storage for PVE.  Or do I miss an important point here?

Frank