SPAM: Re: [PVE-User] how to set proxmox box to connect to trunk interface

Stefan M. Radman smr at kmi.com
Tue Dec 15 00:07:47 CET 2020

Hi Leandro

Find below a network configuration, assuming that PVE resides on the native/untagged VLAN like the other VMs you did not list.
As you did not mention the IP address of the PVE host I assumed 192.168.0.1/24.

You can either enter this in /etc/network/interfaces directly or configure it in the PVE GUI.
vmbr0 already exists, I guess, for the untagged Vlan. and is connected to en1 which used to be an untagged interface but now is a trunk, carrying the untagged traffic in addition to the tagged traffic from vlans 10 and 20.
You just need to a vmbridge for each of them, linking it to the vlan sub-interface of trunk en1.
1.Create: Linux Bridge
Name: vmbr10
Bridge ports: en1.10
Comment: access ports for VLAN 10
2.Create: Linux Bridge
Name: vmbr20
Bridge ports: en1.20
Comment: access ports for VLAN 10
That's where you hook up your VMs to.

Starting with PVE 6.1 you can apply changes without rebooting the host.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_apply_network_changes
The working VMs without VLAN tags should continue to work.

I would recommend though, to reboot the host after fundamental network changes like this.

Note that I could not test the proposed config but I am running a very similar one and it has been working for years (since 5.x).

Stefan

/etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
#VLAN TRUNK (VLANS 10 , 20)

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address  192.168.0.1
netmask  255.255.255.0
gateway  192.168.0.254
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#PVE host and VMs on the untagged VLAN

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
bridge_ports en1.10
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#access ports VLAN 10

auto vmbr10
iface vmbr10 inet manual
bridge_ports en1.20
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#access ports VLAN 20

> On Dec 14, 2020, at 14:15, Leandro Roggerone <leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar> wrote:
>
> Hi guys , please taek a look to attached text file, thas is what I need to
> achieve.
> looking at official docs , couldn't find any direct example.
> Do I need to proceed with cli or is it fully done at pve gui  ?
> Should I restart the server to make it work ?
> Other:
> I have some working VMs with no vlan taggs.
> Can I proceed with this change with no outage?
> Regards.
> Leandro.
> pve-user mailing list
> pve-user at lists.proxmox.com
> https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.proxmox.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fpve-user&data=04%7C01%7Csmr%40kmi.com%7C601183b1f9584cf6db1d08d8a0326dba%7Cc2283768b8d34e008f3d85b1b4f03b33%7C0%7C0%7C637435485750066292%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=lbgXl3YMjIyEh2Kc4MWMj2suRPWQtMEPMr5cIjRDm0s%3D&reserved=0

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information, or may otherwise be protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please notify the sender that you have received this communication in error and delete and destroy all copies in your possession.