[PVE-User] Live VM migration 6.3 to 6.2 fails

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Wed Dec 2 09:47:18 CET 2020

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 09:17:44 +0100 (CET) Daniel Berteaud wrote:

> ----- Le 2 Déc 20, à 9:11, Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > yes I know that migrating back to an older version is not guaranteed but
> > I'm rather confused as to why this happens.
> >
> > Firstly this, more details below:
> > ---
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:08 start migrate command to tcp:10.0.0.11:60000
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:09 migration status error: failed
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:09 ERROR: online migrate failure - aborting
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:09 aborting phase 2 - cleanup resources
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:09 migrate_cancel
> > 2020-12-02 16:34:11 ERROR: migration finished with problems (duration 00:00:08)
> > TASK ERROR: migration problems
> > ---
> >
> > That's all I get, where would one find the exact issue?
> >
> > Now for the details, in the previous minor upgrade we saw a similar issue,
> > but that only affected VMs which had been created on an upgraded node, old
> > ones were fine to move in both ways.
> > OK, that was because of new features int he VM definition not present on
> > the old version, understandable.
> >
> > With this one on a (more frequently updated) test cluster 6.3 to 6.2
> > migrations also works, the test cluster old nodes are at
> > pve-manager (6.2-12), the one with issues are pve-manager (6.2-6).
> > I however see nothing in the changelogs which would explain this difference.
> >
> > In general being able to live migrate back to a node with the previous
> > version is a very desirable situation, since if there are issues/bugs (on
> > the VM level) with the new version there no longer is an impact free way
> > of reverting if this functionality is not present.
> >

> That's most likely the QEMU version 5.1 on the 6.3 node vs QEMU 5.0 on the 6.2 one.
> There's no migration support from newer to older, only from older to newer.

If that is really the case (qemu migrations between minor versions have
worked in the past, at least sometimes), then this is actually worse.

As I wrote, some 6.2 nodes don't have that issue and indeed they have qemu
5.1 which was brought in with 6.2-13.
So no version upgrade flashing warning lights going off in your brain and
if one had not upgraded all nodes, the same would have happened in a
cluster that was nominally still 6.2?
That's rather... scary.

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Rakuten Mobile Inc.