[PVE-User] Proxmox (2 node) cluster questions

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sat Aug 29 15:31:00 CEST 2020

Hi,

the main problem with 2 nodes cluster, is that if 1 node is done, you lost quorum,
so /etc/pve is read only.

if that occur, you can manually said to proxmox that you want only 1 node in the quorum,
with "pvecm expected 1" command. then you'll be able to write again in  /etc/pve.
(But do it only when you are sure that the other node is down)

>>So i hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions since i am tempted
>>to try again:

>>   -  Can a proxmox cluster (with failover possibility) work with local
>>   storage. (Or do i need distributed storage from a NAS / NFS via ceph?)

I'm  not sure, but maybe with zfs it's possible. (but the replication is async, so you'll lost data since the last sync)

>>   - Can i use failover possiblity in a 2 nodes cluster?
manually yes. (but not with HA).
you can use "pvecm expected 1",  then on node1 "mv /etc/pve/nodes/node2/qemu-server/* /etc/pve/nodes/node1/qemu-server" to move vm config.
then if the storage is available on node1 (shared storage or maybe zfs local), you'll be able to start vm

>>   - Can i use vm migration in a 2 nodes cluster?
yes sure

>>   - Does it matter if i have the storage 'mounted' in Datacenter rather
>>   than on the server in a directory (gui wise). (Datacenter > storage >
>>   'mounts')
This is the same, but for network storage(nfs,cifs), it's better to use datacenter option, as it's monitoring server, and if a network timeout occur,
the pvestatd daemon will not hang when try to get stats

>>   - Is it better to rename the mounts to vmdata rather than vmdata <number>

for the failover, you only need to have same "storage name" define for each node.
so yes, local mountpoint should be same on each node, as you can define 1 storage name only once at datacenter level.