[PVE-User] SR-IOV Network Virtualization Question

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:31:31 CEST 2019

Hey All,

I'm running Poxmox on Dell R710:
CPU(s) 16 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version Linux 4.15.18-18-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-44 (Wed, 03 Jul
2019 11:19:13 +0200)
PVE Manager Version pve-manager/5.4-11/6df3d8d0

I wanted to test the new Velo Cloud Partner Gateway KVM appliance and
curious about the requirements:
Minimum Server Requirements To run the hypervisor:
10 Intel CPU's at 2.0 Ghz or higher. The CPU must support the AES-NI,
SSSE3, SSE4 and RDTSC instruction sets.
20+ GB (16 GB is required for VC Gateway VM memory)
100 GB magnetic or SSD based, persistent disk volume
2 x 1 Gbps (or higher) network interface. The physical NIC card should
use the Intel 82599/82599ES chipset (for SR-IOV & DPDK support).

The CPU is OK and I think I can get my hands on the correct NIC to put
in the chassis. I don't know anything about the SR-IOV or DPDK so I'm
doing some research on these now.

My question is; Has anyone else deployed VMs with these requirements,
are the CPU instructions exposed to the VMs in the PROXMOX kernel I
have loaded, any caveats or potholes I should be looking for? Can I
get the network cards directly exported to the VM?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

JR
--