[PVE-User] Images on CephFS?

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Wed Sep 25 16:47:20 CEST 2019

Hi,

>huh, AFAICT we never allowed that, the git-history of the CephFS
>storage Plugin is quite short[0] so you can confirm yourself..
>The initial commit did not allow VM/CT images neither[1]..
Haha. That's cool. :) I'm pretty sure I never needed to 'hack' anything
to allow it. I can't find an un-updated cluster to test it on.

>>Any way we can enable it again?
>
>IIRC, the rational was that if Ceph is used, RBD will be prefered
>for CT/VM anyhow - but CephFS seems to be quite performant, and as
>all functionality should be there (or get added easily) we could
>enable it just fine..
>
>Just scratching my head how you were able to use it for images if
>the plugin was never told to allow it..

The good news is, I can create the image and configure the
vm-config-file. Works fine, just not for a normal user. It performes
fine as well, although I would recommend only raw images. I think I
remember issues with qcow2 and snapshots.

--
Mark Schouten
Tuxis B.V.