[PVE-User] LXC not starting after V5 to V6 upgrade using ZFS for storage

Mike O'Connor mike at oeg.com.au
Thu Sep 12 08:18:34 CEST 2019

HI All

I just finished upgrading from V5 to V6 of Proxmox and have an issue
with LXC 's not starting.

The issue seems to be that the LXC is being started with out first
mounting the ZFS subvolume.
This results in a dev directory being created which then means ZFS will
not mount over anymore because there are files in the mount point

Mount does not work
Code:

root at pve:/rbd# zfs mount rbd/subvol-109-disk-0
cannot mount '/rbd/subvol-109-disk-0': directory is not empty

There is a directory created by the attempt to start the lXC
Code:

root at pve:/rbd# find /rbd/subvol-109*/
/rbd/subvol-109-disk-0/
/rbd/subvol-109-disk-0/dev

Remove the directory
Code:

rm -rf /rbd/subvol-109-disk-0/dev/

Mount the rbd volume
Code:

root at pve:/rbd# zfs mount rbd/subvol-109-disk-0

I can then start the LXC from the web page or via the cli.

Question:
What mounts the zfs subvol ?
Is this a ZFS issue of not mounting the subvol at boot ?
Should Proxmox be mounting the image ?
Should Proxmox not be checking its mounted before starting the LXC ?

I've been able to start the LXC but after a reboot, it seems I have to
manual fix the mounts again.

Thanks