[PVE-User] Bug report: Syntax error in /etc/aliases

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Sep 3 11:46:03 CEST 2019

Hi Uwe,

On 03.09.19 09:18, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> on a freshly installed PVE 6 my /etc/aliases looks like:
>
> # cat /etc/aliases
> postmaster: root
> nobody: root
> hostmaster: root
> webmaster: root
> www:root
>
> and I get this output from mailq
>
> # mailq
> -Queue ID-  --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
> 2F38327892     5452 Fri Aug 30 23:25:46  MAILER-DAEMON
>                                                   (alias database unavailable)
>                                          root at px-golf.localdomain
>
> 30E0F27893     5548 Fri Aug 30 23:25:46  MAILER-DAEMON
>                                                   (alias database unavailable)
>                                          root at px-golf.localdomain
>

> If I change the last line in the aliases file to "www: root" (with a space as the format requires as the man page says), recreate
> the alias database and flush the mail queues, everything looks fine.
>
> # sed -i -e 's,www:root,www: root,g' /etc/aliases
> # newaliases
> # postqueue -f
> # mailq
> Mail queue is empty
>

> Looks like the package that adds the www entry makes an error.

Yes, you're right! Much thanks for the report, fixed for the next ISO release.

@Fabian: we should probably do a postinst hook which fixes this up?

Doing
# sed -i -e 's/^www:root$/www: root/' /etc/aliases

at one single package version transition could be enough.
I'd say checksum matching the file to see if it was modified since shipping is
not really required, as such matched entries are really not correct.

cheers,
Thomas