[PVE-User] Adding qemu agent and serial driver to Linux virtual machines

DL Ford dan-pvemalinglist at dlford.io
Wed May 22 07:51:42 CEST 2019

The package is "qemu-guest-agent" on Ubuntu, not sure about other distros though.  It is worth noting that in my experience shutdown commands work fine without it installed so long as you have "Qemu Agent" disabled in the VM options menu, I believe KVM just simulates the power button being pressed in that case, so it would depend on how your distro handles that.  The Qemu Agent offers more functionality though and is probably the better choice.  Again this is based on my experience with Ubuntu guests, your mileage may vary, more information can be found here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent.

DL Ford
On 5/21/2019 10:12:44 PM, Saint Michael <venefax at gmail.com> wrote:

> First I want to thank all the people here for your support.

> It turns out that now my windows VMs are behaving as they are supposed
> to, shutting down when asked to, but my Linux VMs not, they are unruly. You
> would think that the Linux Kernel would obey KVM commands like qm shutdown,
> but no, it does not happen. I installed a package I know, open-vm-tools,
> but of course it only works for Vmware VMs.

How do I install the qemu Agent and serial driver inside a Linux VM?