[PVE-User] Source code for Kernel with patches

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri May 17 08:14:47 CEST 2019

Hi,

On 5/17/19 2:57 AM, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Where can I download the source code for the PVE kernels with there
> patches (including old releases) ? I want to apply a patch to fix an issue.

All our sources are available at: https://git.proxmox.com/

For cloning the kernel do:
$ git clone git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel
$ cd pve-kernel

# init submodules (would be done automatically on first build, but for
# applying patches you may want to have it earlier)
$ make submodule

on-top patches belong in the "patches/kernel" directory as .patch file,
which the 'patch' tool should be able understand.

What I often do is changing into the submodule directory, currently that'd
be:
$ git submodule update --init  # ensure all is checked out as desired
$ cd submodules/ubuntu-bionic

changing to a new branch
$ git chechkout -b backport-foo

then applying upstream/backported patches
$ git am <patches...>

then formating them out to the correct directory:
$ git format-patch -s -o ../../patches/kernel/ --start-number=100 --no-numbered --no-signature --zero-commit  Ubuntu-4.15.0-46.49..

(you may want to change start-number and the last parameter above, it is the
commit/tag/branch from which you want to base your work on), if you add a single
patch you could also just use "-1" ("-2" for two, ...) instead of "Ubuntu-4.15.0-X.Y"

Hope that helps.

cheers,
Thomas