[PVE-User] adding ceph osd nodes

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Thu Jul 18 14:22:13 CEST 2019

Hi,

El 18/7/19 a las 13:43, mj escribió:

> On 7/17/19 2:47 PM, Alwin Antreich wrote:
>
>> I like to add, though not explicitly asked. While it is technically
>> possible, the cluster will lose its enterprise support. As Ceph is under
>> support on Proxmox VE nodes too.
>
> Hmm. That is a disappointing consequence of simply adding some
> storage-only nodes, with the sole purpose to increase ceph performance.
>
>> Better split out Ceph to a separate cluster and use the Proxmox VE nodes
>> as clients. To keep the Ceph client and cluster package versions close
>> together, you could use Proxmox VE without subscription for the separate
>> Ceph cluster.
>
> I find it surprising that a setup such as described above *would* be
> supported, and a (in our eyes simpler and more elegant) setup with one
> or two ceph-osd-only nodes is not supprted.
I don't understand your surprise.

In the first scenario, without added ceph nodes, Proxmox subscription
will support ceph storage server too. If you add non-Proxmox nodes, they
can cause trouble in Ceph server duties.

In the second scenario, Proxmox subscription will support only ceph as
client, but not ceph storage nodes...

Cheers
Eneko

--