[PVE-User] sharing zfs experience

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Mon Jul 8 20:19:18 CEST 2019

hi,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 18:50:07 +0200
Tonči Stipičević <tonci at suma-informatika.hr> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> A customer of mine runs two clusters :
>
> 1. 2node with ibm v370 san as shared strage  (hared lvm)
>
> 2.  3node cluster all nodes run zfs ...  no shared storage
>

> Couple days ago he had an power outage and during that period of time
> I was kind a worrying how apcupsd & proxmox will handle this
> situation.
>
> 1. Both nodes were properly shut down but one of 2 them dies ,
> independent from power outage :) but just in the same time. I booted
> up remaining node , adjusted "votes" and started all vm-s residing on
> the shared lvm storage ...  No further questions ... prox handled
> that correctly
>
> 2. all 3 nodes started up but the most important lxc conteiner cloud
> not start.
>
> Reason: Job for pve-container at 104.service failed because the control
> process exited with error code. See "systemctl status
> pve-container at 104.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. TASK
> ERROR: command 'systemctl start pve-container at 104' failed: exit code 1
>
> Upgrading, restarting etc etc did not helped at all. The problem was
> that rootfs from this contaier  was completely empty ( it contained
> only /dev/ and /mnt/  dirs . Fortunately second mount point (aka 2nd
> disk) with 2T of data was pretty healthy and visible. So one option
> was to restore it from backup but zfs list command showed that this
> data set still holds data as much as it should (disk 0)
This somehow reminds me of a recent thread in the forum:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/reboot-of-pve-host-breaks-lxc-container-startup.55486/#post-255641

did the rpool get imported completely - or are there some errors in the
journal while the system booted?

In any case - glad you manged to resolve the issue!