[PVE-User] Debian buster inside PVE KVM

Chris Hofstaedtler | Deduktiva chris.hofstaedtler at deduktiva.com
Mon Jul 8 02:16:34 CEST 2019

Hello,

while doing some test upgrades I ran into the buster RNG problem [1],
where the newer kernel and systemd use a lot more randomness during
boot, causing startup delays.

Very clearly noticable in dmesg:
[    1.500056] random: fast init done
[  191.700840] random: crng init done
[  191.701445] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

I couldn't find a supported way of enabling virtio_rng [2] in PVE
5.4 or the 6.0 beta. As a test, I've set "args: -device
virtio-rng-pci" and that appears to work - the VM auto-loads the
virtio_rng kmod and "crng init done" happens at ~4s after poweron.

Are there any recommendations at this time or plans for adding
virtio_rng?

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#entropy-starvation
[2] https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/VirtIORNG

Thanks,
--
Chris Hofstaedtler / Deduktiva GmbH (FN 418592 b, HG Wien)
www.deduktiva.com / +43 1 353 1707