[PVE-User] Proxmox 5 to root on ZFS

Jonny jonny at lemonjuice.tk
Mon Dec 16 01:05:19 CET 2019

Hey,

I've not long setup 2 OVH (SoYouStart) Servers myself, with Fully
encrypted ZFS with Proxmox.
I think the best approach personally is to reinstall either using
proxmox installer ISO via KVM. Then you can install with ZFS as you
want. Then you can setup RAIDZ1 etc, allowing for one disk failure.

If you want ZFS and full disk encryption, then its a much longer process
but doable. See links below.

Is there a reason you didn't use the KVM and install from ISO to start
with?

I followed these two guides: (tweaked bits here and there though)
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Buster-Root-on-ZFS
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

Jonny

On 15/12/2019 23:30, Gianni Milo wrote:
> Don't have experience with OVH, but depending on the situation, it might be
> possible to "transfer" the existing OS installation to a ZFS backed setup.
>
> To do so, it will be required to have an additional hdd, partition it,
> create a ZFS pool on it with proper datasets (rpool/ROOT/pve-1 etc..), set
> the appropriate zfs options for each dataset (you can use an existing root
> on zfs installation as a reference) and rsync the existing PVE (lvm)
> installation onto it. Then chroot into the zfs installation and make the
> required changes in grub, initramfs,fstab etc etc, finally boot from the
> system from the zfs disk. It will require some effort, but should be
> doable.
>
> What are the benefits? Unless you want to benefit from the zfs snapshots
> for rolling back your system after an unwanted system update, I don't see
> any.
>
> Is it worth it? Don't think so, especially since this is a backup system.
> Since you've managed to create a zfs pool for storing your VMs (pve-zsync
> target), that should be enough in my opinion.
>
> B.R.
> G.
>

> On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 20:16, Miguel González via pve-user <
> pve-user at pve.proxmox.com> wrote:

Jonny