[PVE-User] Storage Server Recommendations Please (JR Richardson)

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Mon Aug 5 12:32:46 CEST 2019

On 03.08.2019 15:02, JR Richardson wrote:

> I have 14 hypervisor nodes hitting 6 storage servers, dell 610's, and a
> couple of backup servers. All VMs, 200 Linux servers and about 20 Win
> servers use NFS shared storage. I'd like to consolidate storage down to two
> servers.
>
> Nada suggested Synology RS818RP+ it is turnkey solution, I'll check into it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JR

since you run 6 storage servers today. you should at least check out
ceph. it gives you a single "point of access" instead of the fragmented
NFS space. High availability features. scalable and flexible. ceph is
integrated in proxmox already and manageable thru the web interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBkH1g4DuKE

NB: it does not reduce your footprint to 2 servers tho. ceph do require
4 or more for HA self healing. If that is a critical element ceph is not
suited.

kind regards
Ronny Aasen