[PVE-User] NFS Storage issue

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Thu Apr 25 14:51:42 CEST 2019

On 2019-04-25 7:34 a.m., Gianni Milo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Synology with High Availability serving NFS storage to Proxmox.
>> A couple of months ago, this started happening:
>>
>> Apr 24 12:32:51 proxmox-1 pvestatd[3298]: unable to activate storage
>> 'NAS' - directory '/mnt/pve/NAS' does not exist or is unreachable
>> Apr 24 13:08:00 proxmox-1 pvestatd[3298]: unable to activate storage
>> 'NAS' - directory '/mnt/pve/NAS' does not exist or is unreachable
>>

> It appears that the NFS storage target was unreachable during that time...
>

>> It affecting backups and VM speeds. Any idea what is causing this?
>
> I would guess that the network link used for accessing the NFS target is
> getting saturated. This sometimes can be caused by running backup jobs,
> and/or other tasks like VMs demanding high i/o to that destination.
>
> There are no errors in the Synology logs, and the storage stays mounted and
>> accessible.
>>
> You mean that it stays accessible after the backups are finished (or
> failed) and after the i/o operations return to the normal levels ?
> Do you recall if there was any of the above happening during that time ?
>

>> Any ideas what's going on?
>>
> I would set bandwidth limits either on the storage target or on the backup
> jobs. See documentation for details on how to achieve this.
> Even better, separate VMs from the backups if that's possible (i.e use
> different storage/network links).
>
> G.

Thanks for the reply. Although it does happen during backups, causing
serious issues that require Proxmox server restart, it also happens
during the day. I don't see any saturation issues during the day, but
I'll start monitoring that.

So you're saying to set network bandwidth limits on the storage network
(I do keep a separate network for storage). I guess upgrading the
synology's with something that has 10GE would help as well.

Thanks,

Gerald