[PVE-User] Changing votes and quorum

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Mon Oct 29 10:14:41 CET 2018

Hi!

Am 10/28/2018 um 02:54 PM schrieb Dewangga Alam:

> Hello!
>
> I was new in proxmox and am trying to build large scale proxmox 5.2
> cluster (>128 nodes). My `/etc/pve/corosync.conf` configuration like :
>
> ```
> nodelist {
>   node {
>     name: node1
>     nodeid: 1
>     quorum_votes: 1
>     ring0_addr: 192.168.24.2
>   }
>   ... skip till nodes 28 ...
>   node {
>     name: node28
>     nodeid: 28
>     quorum_votes: 1
>     ring0_addr: 192.168.24.110
>   }
> }
> quorum {
>   provider: corosync_votequorum
>   expected_votes: 16

expected_votes must be your real highest expected votes.

>   last_man_standing: 1
>   last_man_standing_window: 20000

> }
> totem {
>   cluster_name: px-cluster1
>   config_version: 90
>   window_size: 300
>   interface {
>     ringnumber: 0
>   }
>   ip_version: ipv4
>   secauth: on
>   transport: udpu
>   version: 2
> }
> ```
>
> My cluster have 28 nodes in each rack. and total nodes will 28 nodes*5
> racks. So it will 140 nodes in a cluster. From the adjustment above, I
> wonder there's affected to pve/corosync.conf configuration, but in
> fact, it didn't.
>
> So my basic question, when I invoke `pvecm status` in a node, the
> result wasn't as I expect. Then, is it possible to change votequorum
> configuration?

What wasn't as expected? That your set expected_votes is not
"accepted" by corosync? That is expected behaviour.

What is the real problem you want to solve?

> ```
> Quorum information
> - ------------------
> Date:             Sun Oct 28 20:51:42 2018
> Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
> Nodes:            28
> Node ID:          0x00000002
> Ring ID:          1/27668
> Quorate:          Yes
>
> Votequorum information
> Expected votes:   28

if more nodes are online than you set expected it will automatically use
the real node count, i.e. formula would be

expected = max(user_set_expected, #nodes_quorate_online)

Note that last_man_standing is not really recommended by us, if you
employ it nonetheless then please test it carefully before rolling out
in production, maybe take also a look at wait_for_all flag to take
this a bit on the save side for cluster cold boots.