[PVE-User] Ceph freeze upgrading from Hammer to Jewel - lessons learned

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Fri Oct 19 10:05:25 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Yesterday we performed a Ceph upgrade in a 3-node Proxmox 4.4 cluster,
from Hammer to Jewel following the procedure in the wiki:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Ceph_Hammer_to_Jewel

It went smoothly for the first two nodes, but we had a grave problem
with the 3rd, because when shuting down OSDs on that node, only one
registered as "down" in ceph monitors although all three OSDs on that
node were effectively down (no process running!).

OSDs couldn't be started back directly, because we had to chown data
files/directories and it took quite long (like 1 hour), so VMs trying to
write and read from those 2 phantom OSDs just freezed.

We had downtime, no data was lost, and managed to recover everything
back to working condition as fast as chown command finished :)

* Lessons learned:

I think the procedure described in the wiki could be improved, so it is
instructed first to stop Ceph Mons and OSDs, and only after that perform
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade . This way, it's possible to restart
OSDs in case this bug? happens, or any other problem surfaces; without
performing the long chown work.

Cheers
Eneko

--