[PVE-User] VM encryption and high availability

Martin LEUSCH sce.tech at imereos.fr
Fri Oct 5 16:55:49 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have a Proxmox cluster and use LVM over iSCSI as storage. As I didn't
own the iSCSI server, I plane to encrypt some disk image to increase
confidentiality.

Firstly, I didn't found a way to encrypt iSCSI target or LVM logical
volume and use them in Proxmox, is there a way to achieve that? What
about ZFS over iSCSI or other configuration?

An other way is to encrypt data at the guest OS level by using LUKS for
data partition for example but my VMs need to start without any manual
action to keep high availability on my VMs. Are there any tools that can
help to keep LUKS keys in secure location?

Any other suggestion to do encryption with Proxmox?

Sincerely,
Martin