[PVE-User] cloud-init problems/comments/questions

Thu May 17 14:50:12 CEST 2018

Hi!

Thanks for cloud-support. I just tested it as you descibe on
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cloud-Init_Support

The only difference is, that I am using a zfs pool storage instead of
local-lvm.

Basically it worked out of the box, except:

a) On boot, the Ubuntu cloud image reports:
--- start console output ---
startin serial terminal on interface serial0
Booting from Hard Disk...
error: no such device: root.

Press any key to continue
--- end console output ---

After ~ 15 seconds the boot continues, even without pressing a key.
Maybe the VM creating is not 100% perfect.

b) It would be great if you can add MTU configuration to the cloud-init
network device. When using lots of OVS-tunnels, MTU must be lowered in
the VMs.

c) I use ZFS replication for my VMs. The first issue encountered was,
that replication for the linked clone did not worked. Even if
replication for the template is set up und working fine. Is this
intended to fail?

Next I tried using a full clone. Also, the cloudinit disk was created on
the zfs storage. Replication works now fine, but only zfs:vm-125-disk-1
is replicated, the cloudinit disk zfs:vm-125-cloudinit is not
replicated. Hence, migration fails with:
can't migrate local disk 'zfs:vm-125-cloudinit': local cdrom image

So, it seems currently cloud-init VMs with ZFS storage can not migrated.
correct?

Is this because it is not solveable at all, or just not done in this
release. I think it should be possible, when replication also replicates
the cloudinit-disk.

d) adding SSH keys: it is a bit confusing as the wiki uses "--sshkey"
but the manpage defines "--sskeys". It should be identical, to stop
confusing beginners like me.

e) adding SSH keys: it fails if the pubkeyfile contains lines with
comments (#)

f) how can I add multiple nameservers? "--nameserver 1.2.3.4,5.6.7.8"
does not work. It is not documented how to add multiple servers.

g) "man qm" mentions:        --name <string>
           Set a name for the VM. Only used on the configuration web
interface.

This is not true anymore - name is also used for the cloud-init
hostname. The man page should be updated.

h) The VNC console behaves strange. The first time it always works. The
second time, it takes ~15 seconds - maybe related to a) - to get output.
Also, starting a second console at the same time, the second console
does not work. This works fine with normal created VMs.

i) when i change a cloud-init config in the webgui, and then click on
"regenerate image", an Error is generated: "unable to parse directory
volume name 'cloudinit' (500).

After that, the vm-123-cloudinit.qcow2 file dissappeared from the
storage. This seems like a bug.

Thanks
Klaus