[PVE-User] Meltdown/Spectre mitigation options / Intel microcode

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue May 8 18:24:19 CEST 2018

note that your only need SPEC-CTRL and last microcode, if your vms are windows, or linux with a kernel without retpoline mitigation

PCID is only to improve performance (and you need to recent kernel (>4.13 I think), in your vm, because it was not use before)
setting vcpu other than kvm64, improve performance too because of INVPCID support (>= Haswell)

Personnaly, I have upgraded all my debian to 4.15 kernel with retpoline + PCID + vcpu model set to my lowest intel model of my cluster. (xeon v3)

and my windows vm with SPEC-CTRL option + microcode  on proxmox host

you can use this script
https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker

to check if your vm is protected or not.  (with -v verbose to see PCID/INVPCID support)