[PVE-User] Add runcmd and custom parameters in Cloudinit

José Manuel Giner jm at ginernet.com
Sat Jun 23 18:25:24 CEST 2018

Hello Dietmar,

thanks for answering. If I understand correctly, you propose to make a
customized installation of the operating system and then install
cloudinit and convert it to template.

But this approach is much more complicated to manage over the time. If
we want to provide more specific software, you must create a template
for each of them.

It does not make much sense to have 10 or 20 templates of Ubuntu 18.04,
when we can have only 1 and configure it in the first boot with a single
command that allows you to execute your own script that applies the
configuration you want. I understand that this is the great advantage of
Cloudinit.

For example, if I want to provide an installation with cPanel, within 3
months when cPanel pulls out a new version I would have to prepare a new
template and repeat the same job every 3 months, however if I could
execute a script on the first startup it would be valid regardless of
when it is run as it would always provide an installation of the latest
version of cPanel available.

In the same way that the SSH key can be added in a very simple way with
the interface, a key in each line, the parameter runcmd could be added
with a command in each line. That's why I think it's simple to develop.

Or am I forgetting something?

Thanks!

--
José Manuel Giner