[PVE-User] Bug when removing a VM

Simone Piccardi piccardi at truelite.it
Thu Jun 21 15:48:28 CEST 2018

Il 21/06/2018 10:43, Dietmar Maurer ha scritto:
> In general, you should never mount storage on different clusters at the same
> time. This is always dangerous - mostly because there is no locking and
> because of VMID conflicts. If you do, mount at least read-only.

Yes, that's dangerous (I was hurt by this).

But still I do not understand why, if you remove a VM that has a disk
hosted in a specific storage, it will removed also on all other storage
(they ), or, like it happened to me, all the logical volumes with the
same VMID number in the name.

We was using different Proxmox server (as independent standalone server,
as they must stay in totally separated networks) using shared LVM over a
FC connected SAN.

We usually avoid to use duplicated VMID, but one time a VM was created
in a server having an already taken VMID (in another server). It worked
because it correctly create a logical volume with a different disk
number, but when it was removed, also the other logical volume was deleted.

I do not understand the reason of this behaviour, there is a clearly
identified logical volume (or disk name on a storage) written inside the
configuration; if just that one is removed, no problem arise. Why you
remove also other logical volumes o disk on different storage, not
related to the VM you are deleting?

Regards
Simone
--
Simone Piccardi                                 Truelite Srl
piccardi at truelite.it (email/jabber)             Via Monferrato, 6